Marble Surface

Manila Cathedral School

287 Tayuman St., Tondo, Manila 1012

Manila Cathedral School
Manila Cathedral School

Rev. Fr. Nolan A. Que, Ph. D.

DIRECTOR

Manila Cathedral School

Rev. Fr. Nicanor A. Celiano, Jr.

Assistant Director

ABOUT

During the pre-war years, the Manila Cathedral School of Intramuros had a famous "Tiples" all boys choir trained in sacred music. These boys came from different provinces and enjoyed free board and scholarship at the Colegio de Tiples.

After the 1945 liberation, the Manila Cathedral and the school for the Tiples were left into ruins but Most Rev. Michael O'Doherty, D.D., then Archbishop of Manila, was not disheartened. Foremost in his mind was the education of these young boys. The school was then transferred to the present site of Manila Cathedral School in Tayuman, Tondo, known before as the "Insitutio de Mujeres”, originally co-owned by Doña Rosa Sevilla's family and the Archdiocese of Manila. When the Insitutio de Mujeres decided to transfer in Governor Forbes St., Manila, the Archdiocese of Manila purchased the entire lot and became the sole owner. For the time, this area served to house different religious congregations.

In 1949, the archbishop called all the diocesan priests with education degrees. They agreed to establish the school to be known as Manila Cathedral School, for Tiples, for boys who have vocation to the priesthood, and the poor boys from Tondo. The classes commenced in June 1949. Manila Cathedral School had about 400 students paying only minimal tuition fee. In 1950s, Manila Cathedral School opened its doors to female students.

In 1978, Archbishop of Manila Jaime Cardinal Sin invited the Congregation of the Religious Missionaries of St. Dominic (Order of Preachers) to run the school.
In 1997, Sr. Maria Esperanza H. Seguban, O.P., directress and principal, started the tertiary level thus changing the name to Manila Cathedral College. However, in 2001, the School Board decided to concentrate on the Basic Education. Thus, the school was known again as Manila Cathedral School.

After 21 years of administration, the Dominican Sisters returned administration to the archdiocese under the supervision of the School Board Char, Most Rev. Teodoro Bacani, Jr. D.D., then Auxiliary Bishop of Manila.

In 2002, Msgr. Claro Matt Garcia became the School Director, Principal and Chaplain of MCS. During his tenure, offices were renovated, new buildings were constructed, and facilities such as gymnasium, canteen, and computer and science laboratories, and air-conditioned classrooms were made available to support academic and co-academic programs and activities. He also expanded the scholarship program for poor children.

To give full attention to the development of the school, he invited Dr. Jesusa Bulotano to be the school principal - the first time since 1978 for the school to have a separate director and principal.

In 2014, under the leadership of Rev. Fr. Nolan A. Que, Ph.D. and Fr. Nicanor A. Celiano, Jr. as director and assistant director, respectively, Manila Cathedral School became part of RCAMES Cluster 6 schools. During their term, the school was granted the PAASCU Level 1 Accreditation. Recently, Manila Cathedral School was granted Level II Accreditation by the Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities (PAASCU) last December 2019.